Saturday, January 16, 2010

Spanish Rice


A friend asked me this week for a Spanish rice recipe and this is any easy one I make quite often. As with many of my recipes it has been changed to meet my taste needs. I believe a true Spanish rice probably has no cumin, but since I am a cumin worshiper, its in mine, but feel free to omit it if that pleases you.

Spanish Rice

2 C long grain white rice
1/4 C olive or canola oil
1 yellow onion roughly chopped
1 bell pepper diced
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tomatoes diced
2 t salt (more to taste if desired)
1 T cumin powder
1 t crushed red pepper
2 3/4 C chicken broth
3/4 cup of frozen mixed vegis

Fresh cilantro for garnish

In a large skillet heat oil until it sizzles, add onions and garlic allowing them to brown, add rice and allow to brown slightly. Add remaining ingredients except for chicken broth and give them a good stir. Add chicken broth and allow to boil. Once boiling, reduce to lowest setting, cover and keep covered for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and serve with tacos, enchiladas, mole or whatever pleases you!

3 comments:

  1. I love Spanish rice- this recipe looks yummy, I shall try it out! I vote for cumin in everything too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too and have at least 5 regular variations. My favorite one is with lime, corn, cumin and cilantro, next time I make it I'll post that one too! Hope your having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds delish! Its on the menu this week!

    ReplyDelete