Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hummus

It has been requested that the accompanying dishes served with the Kibbe Balls be given, so I'll begin with one that is a staple at my house. Versatile, tasty, high in fiber and inexpensive to make. Another spicy one, so adjust to your heat level if needed.

Hummus

16 oz dried garbanzo beans (soak overnight and boil until soft) alternatively you can use drained, canned beans
1/2 C tahini
2 lemons (juice and pulp)
6 cloves garlic
1 t dried cayenne powder
1/4 C olive oil
1 T salt, less if you use canned garbanzo beans
1/8 - 1/2 C water as needed to reach desired consistency

In a food processor, process garlic, add garbanzo beans and process until they are the consistency of a coarse meal, add remaining ingredients except water and process until smooth, add water to reach desired consistency.

Great with pita or whatever pleases you!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! I was getting ready to call and ask for this recipe. Another one of my favorites!
    Love from Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make hummus and enjoy all the variations. Recently I tried a new addition and it was awesome. Try adding a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt for an extra creaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the variations myself, one of my favorites is roasted red pepper hummus. I will definitely give the yogurt a try and please email me if you have any recipes you would like to share!

    ReplyDelete