Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Venison kibbe balls

Deer season is upon the hunters and gatherers of the North and new meal ideas are desperately needed. How about a yummy dish inspired by our brothers further East to warm our bellies this fall?

Venison Kibbe Balls

1 C Cracked Bulgur - Soak 1 hr in advance in 2 cups cold water (drain before use)
2 lbs Ground Venison - Can be substituted if desired (1lb beef & 1lb venison is my favorite)
1 Large white onion - Finely chopped
5 Cloves garlic - Finely chopped
1 T Cinnamon
1 T Allspice
2 T Oregano (dried)
1 T Mint (dried)
1 C Pinenuts or sliced almonds
2 T Olive oil (if meat has less fat)
2 T Salt
1 T Black pepper

Combine all ingredients, roll into golf ball size ovals or balls place on baking sheets and bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. These also freeze great so you can double the batch and save some for later.

Serve with Rice pilaf, Pita, Hummus, Tabbouleh and salad, or whatever pleases you!

6 comments:

  1. I love venison, but have a non-hunting hubby :(
    Where do you source yours? Elk is easy to get, & might do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a non-hunter in the house but family and friends back home in MN & WI are big into hunting. Elk would be great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this, my Mom just told me that she had two lbs. of frozen venison and didn't know what to do with it. Here is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so wonderful. I'm sad we don't get much venison up here. You'll have to tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have checked here first. I made venison kibbe with the deep fat frying method yesterday. End product tasted great...house smells Arthur Treacher's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even remember what Arthur Treacher's smells like, but it must be good! I'm glad the end result was good, I imagine it would be!

    ReplyDelete