Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Orzo pilaf

Cool weather has arrived and some are in need of belly warming side dish ideas. Its time to put down the Lipton and Uncle Ben's and create our own yummy home-made Mediterranean treat.

Orzo Pilaf

1/3 C butter or olive oil
1 C rice
1 C orzo pasta
4 C chicken broth
1 finely chopped white onion
4 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/2 t ground black pepper
1-2 t salt
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1 T allspice
1/2 c raisins

In a large sauce pan, melt butter, add onion and garlic and saute over med-high heat until onions are translucent. Add rice and orzo, saute and stir constantly until golden brown. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to lowest setting. Keep covered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir and serve.


Serve as a side with kibbe balls, shawarma, moussaka, or anything that pleases you!

4 comments:

  1. Yum, Larissa, thank you! I love orzo, but only know a few ways to use it. Never thought of pilaf! I am going to make this for supper tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think, I love this one and I sometimes skip the chicken broth and saute mushrooms with the onions and let them brown a bit, then just add water and that makes a yummy mushroom broth, good for those vegi's out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds good! I use chicken broth even when we aren't eating meat, but am trying to get away from the cubes & make my own veggie broth more consistently. I like the mushroom idea! I figured I would serve it with sauteed veggies & lots of cheese for our vegetarian meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! yeah I am a big skipping the cubes advocate, so much sodium and lots of other unmentionables! Mushrooms make such a nice vegi stock too (especially if you let them caramelize before adding water)! Tell me how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete